The Toyota Cheetahs will be taking on Scarlets on Saturday, 2 November at Parc y Scarlets in Llanelli, Wales. The action kicks off at 17:00 (SA time). Live on SuperSport 2, Premier Sports, and DAZN.
The two sides have met on three previous occasions with Scarlets having the edge by two wins to one, and all matches going with home field advantage.
The Toyota Cheetahs five game winning run in the Guinness PRO14 ended with a last gasp defeat at Connacht last weekend.
“We’re looking forward to this weekend’s match against Scarlets. The defeat last week was disappointing and we would like to get on a winning path away from home,” said coach Hawies Fourie. “We did let ourselves down during the first half. We made a lot of handling errors, some of the guys were a bit careless with the passing and we didn’t respect the ball.”
“We should have won the game and even though there were refereeing decisions we didn’t agree with, it wouldn’t have had an influence on the game if we played better in the first half. The team have put in a great effort on the training field this week and made some adjustments.”
Joseph Dweba on playing in his 50th match for the Toyota Cheetahs (Super Rugby - 6, Currie Cup - 19, Guinness PRO14 - 24): “It’s a 50th for me, it’s quite exciting and it’s quite emotional as well. I am thankful for the opportunity and I am thankful for everything that has been happening as well.”
“It has been a long two and a half years of fighting to get to where I am now. Each and every weekend I make sure that I enjoy the game that I love. I make sure that the team comes first. Everything I do, I do for the team.”
“I want the team to go forward. If the team goes forward I go forward and it helps me to grow as a player. I feel like we are stronger as a team from where we started in the PRO14 as to where we are now. As you could see last weekend we are not a pushover anymore.”
Coach Hawies Fourie announced the team with some changes from last week’s match against Connacht.
• Boan Venter will be starting on loose head prop, replacing Ox Nche who returned to South Africa to join the Sharks.
• JP du Preez and Sias Koen moves to the starting line-up with Walt Steenkamp and Gerhard Olivier providing cover on the bench.
• Tian Meyer will be leading the team and starting on scrumhalf.
• Benhard Janse van Rensburg moves to outside centre and Louis Fouche will be starting on inside-centre. Fouche replaces Dries Swanepoel who got suspended for three games.
• The wings are Clayton Blommetjies and William Small-Smith. Anthony Volmink will be providing cover on the bench.
• George Whitehead will be making his Guinness PRO14 debut when he sets foot to field.
The following players are not eligible for team selection due to injury: Justin Basson (knee), Marnus van der Merwe (foot), Charles Marais (bicep).
Toyota Cheetahs: 1. Boan Venter, 2. Joseph Dweba, 3. Aranos Coetzee, 4. Sintu Manjezi, 5. JP du Preez, 6. Sias Koen, 7. Junior Pokomela, 8. Jasper Wiese, 9. Tian Meyer (C), 10. Tian Schoeman, 11. Clayton Blommetjies, 12. Louis Fouche, 13. Benhard Janse van Rensburg, 14. William Small-Smith, 15. Rhyno Smith. Replacements: 16. Wilmar Arnoldi, 17. Luan de Bruin, 18. Erich de Jager, 19. Walt Steenkamp, 20. Gerhard Olivier, 21. Ruan Pienaar, 22. George Whitehead, 23. Anthony Volmink.